Globally, the past few years have witnessed the birth of an increasing number of e-commerce businesses. These new-age firms founded by young techno-entrepreneurs have ventured into almost every domain and category of products and services possible - electronics, grocery, appointment scheduling, digital wallets, travel booking and what not.. Today, almost every need of an individual consumer is being serviced online by various e-commerce firms.
At an elementary level, the business model of most e-commerce firms is identical. They either operate on a marketplace model or run their own inventory based model. So in-spite of having a more or less similar business model, what is it that distinguishes a successful e-commerce venture from an unsuccessful one? While technology is non-negotiable determinant, experts cite –
“After sales support and customer service are one of the most significant factors that decide the success of e-commerce businesses.”
Hence, prompt and efficient customer support is critical for the success of an e-commerce business. In the current era of heightened consumer activism, a single discontented customer can heavily dent an organizations’ reputation with a single update on widely consumed social media platforms. Adapting the best practices of customer relationship management is therefore crucial for organizations wanting to gain a competitive edge in this highly competitive business environment.
Trending Blog: Significance of Customer Service Outsourcing
While it is possible for e-commerce firms to build their own in-house customer support function, most prefer to outsource it to a call center service provider to deliver seamless experience to its customers. This arrangement provides multiple benefits to an e-commerce firm.
We will discuss a few of them in this blog.
1. Improved Focus on Core-Business - Engaging a third party customer support services provider help e-commerce companies free up their internal resources to focus on core business functions like engineering, accounting, marketing and sales, data mining and analytics.
2. Industry focused services – Customer support for e-commerce involves adoption of new age technology tools and specialized skill-sets. E-commerce portals require a multi-channel customer support contact center that includes voice calls, live chat, e-mail support and SMS to provide a seamless experience to its customers. An industry focused call center service provider will have the necessary technology tools and resources to deliver such services flawlessly to its clients thereby increasing overall customer satisfaction scores.
Useful Blog for Readers: 3 Things Your Customers Wish You Knew
3. Access to specialized workforce: Customer service is a specialized function and requires experienced professionals to manage it efficiently. Outsourcing helps e-commerce companies gain access to experienced customer service professionals without the need to hire and train them internally.
4. Round-the-clock support – 24x7 support helps in delivering quick response to customer queries and complaints thereby improving brand image. This also helps the companies in greatly increasing their customer retention rate and in adding new customers to its customer base.
5. Better management of customer feedback- Some of the call center service providers also ensure managing customer reviews and feedbacks across all social media and consumer networks. These service providers train their employees to track the responses of customers, resolve their queries immediately, and make them feel valuable across all social networking platforms. In the era of social networking, where one status upload or tweet can bring substantial harm to the revenue generation capabilities of business firms, it is very important for all the e-commerce companies to maintain healthy reputation.
Moreover, these service providers have certification policies for their employees regarding trouble shooting, complaint handling, request registering, and/or order processing. Availing these services from trained and certified professionals help e-commerce companies to deliver exceptional service experience in a timely and professional manner.
India is one of the leading destinations for outsourcing such services. By outsourcing customer support services to call centers in India many established business organizations have achieved their business objective. This has led new e-commerce companies and even some start-ups to follow their footprints.